Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Wrap-Up (Or, How Blogher Reminded Me That I Love My Small Blog)

On Saturday morning I sat next to Maggie at breakfast. I told her that I was feeling happier than I had in a long time. Maggie gave me a funny look, wondering (I imagine) how I could be happiest at Blogher, an event known to cause insecurity and discomfort in the most self-possessed of bloggers. I told her it wasn't so much that I was happy at Blogher, but that I was just happy. I am feeling good about my work, my family, my blog.

I am happier with my blog than I have been in a long time. I generally like my blog, but preparing for a panel at Blogher is what really made me so happy with it. Writing notes for Little Fish in a Small Pond reminded me why I blog, and why it is so much more rewarding to put my energy into my blog rather than into reciprocal commenting, tweeting, self-promotion and all that goes into trying to gain readership or make my site into a big name blog. I don't want to do any of that. I just want to write and take pictures and read the blogs I want to read.

In 2008 I found Blogher kind of frustrating and depressing. I had not expected the focus on sponsors and monetizing. I enjoyed meeting people but felt uncomfortable and decided it was me who was out of place. In 2010, I went to Blogher mostly to see the blog friends I already knew in person and meet people I have known and enjoyed through their blogs. I knew what the conference would be, but felt confident I could find my place in it. On the flight to New York I wrote up some thoughts, and by the time the plane landed I felt happier with my small blog than I'd felt in a long time. The feeling persisted through the conference, and came back home with me. This feeling made me decide to stop running Blogher ads, because I can't figure out why I wanted them to begin with. (Sure, the money, but honestly the amount I make from them does little more than buy me a cup of coffee now and again.)

I am happy with this place. I don't want to change it or worry that it should be something more or different. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled when you visit. I enjoy comments and encourage you to write them. But whether or not you are here, I will be. Ultimately this is for me, and I love my small blog.

Long Live the Small Blog!



For more about the joy of small blogs, check out the live blog transcript of the Small Blogs session from Blogher 2010. But be warned, the live blogger mis-understood and wrote that I said I have a child on the way. I do not. After saying that I have twins, I responded to an audience member who happily pointed at her own belly and said she was going to have twins too. I am not pregnant!

Oh, and Emily also wrote a post inspired by the small blogs session. It apparently got some folks riled up. I'd write more about that, but I am too tired. If you have also written a post on this topic, leave a message in the comments or email me. I'd love to read it!

blog comments powered by Disqus