Thursday, April 30, 2009

Open Letter to a Flower Thief

To the woman who plucked my tulips as she and a friend walked by my house,

I am sure that you are now telling your friend how wildly I overreacted when I came out to yell at you for picking my tulips. I am sure you have turned this whole thing into something about how crazy I am, how some people just can't chill out.

But you stole from me. You leaned over in my garden and plucked two tulips. Your apology? "Sorry. I wanted to put it in my hair. I love flowers."  You love flowers? Hey, so do I, that's why I PLANTED THEM.

Yes, I yelled and yes I didn't, as you suggested I should, "chill out" once you'd (pathetically) explained yourself. But I'm hugely pregnant, and at this point any annoyance causes me to lose it a bit.  And in any case, you stole from me.

I am so annoyed. I can't even express rationally why you taking two measly flowers from my garden pisses me off so much. Except that I have had flowers stolen before, and I am a little sensitive about it now. I planted those flowers because I think they are beautiful, and what you did was selfish and feels like the opposite of my intent for my garden.

Nora

10 comments:

  1. un-fucking-believable. i can't seriously believe someone would do that and defend it! the fact that tulips bloom once a year and don't just come right back makes it all the more unbelievable to me. now i'm pissed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel any better, we get so many flower thieves as well. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are probably right, she may be scoffing at your reaction but damn it! You had every right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to punch her in the back of the head just reading this. Well, not really. I'm not violent. But I so would have yelled too. Screw chilling out! She should buy or plant her own damn flowers. Grrrrr.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have reacted the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah! I can't believe she picked tulips from your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate that so much. I've taken roadside flowers and greenery, or corporate shrubbery (usually lavender or rosemary) - but tulips from a private yard? NOT OKAY. Especially tulips - it's not like they'll come again, as another commenter said. -Nara who is too lazy to deal with the verification system

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is she? Two (tho my two y.o. is probably better behaved)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i totally understand your rage ;) i 'lost' two potted clivias from my front porch, and two lovely poppies (the whole derned plant!) were plucked right outta the flower bed, only footprints remained...now i have nervously hung a wind chime with a note attached: please don't steal me. congrats on your new babies, by the way! they are beautiful little babes...

    ReplyDelete