Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Not As Painful As You Would Think

For the past month or so I have been thinking that I should do something to support one of the candidates for whom I will be voting.  I finally took the plunge Monday night, and I am here to say that it was a lot easier that I thought it would be.

I called people on a "friendly" list, which means they have either said they supported Obama or previously volunteered for the campaign.  Once I realized that I did not have to ask people for money, the whole thing got a lot easier. I was asking people to volunteer: to register voters, to make get-out-the-vote calls or to canvas their neighborhoods. I told people it was even kind of fun, which it was. I met some nice people and drilled through a list quickly thanks to the large number of people who are not home at 5pm. Or who are using caller ID.  In any case, the people I talked to were nice, and several even agreed to volunteer. I felt great, and it took very little time.  You should try it.

If you live in Oregon, you can volunteer for the Obama campaign (even for just an hour at a time, if that is what you have) by calling (503) 236-2008. Or by stopping by a campaign office.




By the way, Tuesday (Today!) is the last day to register to vote in Oregon. If you are an Oregonian and not registered, DO IT TODAY. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, good for you.

    It's interesting to live in state where the national election isn't really being contested, because there's so little local noise about anything. Few radio or tv ads; no phone calls. I was just in Florida, where it was totally different. I like it here better, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call it alchemy. I look at what I am doing and feel completely exhausted then I look at what I want to do... pluck up the courage (or some such thing) and the universe expands.

    Oh yes and I mix a lot of metaphors to pull off the alchemy.

    It does not really make sense to me but somehow doing more can actually give me energy.

    Good on ya.

    ReplyDelete