Thursday, May 21, 2009

This Was Chris' Idea

On Sunday, May 17 I was not in labor (or, as far as I could tell, anywhere near going into labor). Chris asked: do you have a post ready to go when you go into labor?

I didn't, but thought maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to tee up a post. So, if you are reading this, I am having contractions. Real contractions, not the increasingly annoying and sometimes intense but not very productive Braxton-Hicks contractions I have had since somewhere in the second trimester.

The labor and delivery that brought Ada into the world was a fast and thankfully drama-free event. Fast enough that once I went into real labor there was no stopping until 4 hours later Ada appeared. Since last time I got a half day of occasional contractions as "warning" before I went into active labor, now seems like the time to hit "publish post". Of course I could have a very different labor this time, and posting this now could be misleading if the contractions do not lead to a labor that follows the pattern from last time. If so, I suppose that will be another post.

I am pretty excited for labor to start, and by "excited" I mean: looking forward to getting my ankles back, being able to sleep on my back and not waking up every time I have to roll over in bed. Yes, I know that once the twins are out I will be waking up all the time for another reason, but I am hoping that there will be at least that first night post-delivery that we'll all sleep for stretches longer than an hour.

Stay tuned. I will let you know what happens.

All of the above I wrote on Sunday. Today (Thursday) I had another non-stress test in which both twins responded to my contractions with a heart-rate dip each. Everyone (the techs, the doc) say: your twins look great, but... which led the doctor to suggest I go to the hospital for extended monitoring. And then she talked to the perinatologist, who suggested that I go in for a trial of labor instead. 


So I am still going in, but you can ignore the "real contractions" part. Well, until the pitocin kicks in.


Now I am on hold.  

22 comments:

  1. I am holding good thoughts for a quick and drama-free labor! I can't wait to meet the twins. Not sure I exactly understood where you stand now but let me know if there is anything at all we can do! Much love, Aarin

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEK!! (that's a good eek, by the way. I think.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey what's that. She must be busy. No twitter. Wasn't twitter build for labour?

    And come on people I know you are checking. get to the baby shower over at my blog before the babies get here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're cheering you all on here in NE Indiana. Go mom . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thoughts winging your way...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yea! so exciting! sending you good vibes for a wonderful birth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh exciting, I hope all goes well, I can't wait to read the first post twins blog and yay for shapely ankles again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yay! I hope that everything is going smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, did Chris pick out the minivan yesterday? I was certain that when he did that, you'd go into labor.

    OH! I am so excited. Keeping all 5 of you in my best thoughts, Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for a speedy and dramaless delivery of the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A HUGE Congrats to you, and welcome to the two little bits. We love you guys! -The Salomones

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait!
    Here's hoping a pain scale you can stand and two beautiful babies to show for it!
    Good Luck Sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i keep coming over here to check...

    thinking of you. this is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats dear friends...I am so excited I can barely handle it...I can't wait to meet your newest family editions...xxoo t

    ReplyDelete
  16. WHY did I think you were having boys? I need to pay better attention! Welcome to the world Mira and Ian! Can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck and more good luck, to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome Mira & Ian! Glad you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crikey! I gather from the comments above that there's suddenly FIVE of you!?! Wow! And congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  20. welcome to the world, mira and ian! and many congratulations to the nonlinear family.

    ReplyDelete