Wednesday, December 24, 2008

One last thing about Chanukah

This year, in addition to "regular" latkes, I made sweet potato latkes. They turned out well, if I do say so myself. Here's the recipe I made up:

1 large sweet potato (preferably red/orange)
1 medium onion
2 eggs
flour (maybe between a quarter and a half cup?)
salt
pepper

Peel the sweet potato and grate it. If you have a food processor, use that, otherwise watch your knuckles as you manually grate. Grate the onion. Throw both in a bowl with eggs and flour. Mix and decide if you need more flour. Mix in salt and pepper.

Get out a non-stick pan (or two if you can multi-task). Add more oil than seems reasonable, and then add a bit more. When the oil is hot, spoon in (maybe 1/4 cup) dollops of grated mix. Over medium-high, cook latkes to brown but not burnt on one side, flip and brown the other side. Serve warm with sour cream and applesauce. And brisket. (Chris makes a great one!) 

When making latkes with potatos, I usually use a ratio of about three large potatoes to one big onion, plus 2-3 eggs and more than a half cup on flour.

Oh yeah, and for the three of you clamoring for a belly photo, here's the bump as of last weekend. Because who doesn't need a photo of a pregnant woman holding a sweet potato?

Pregnant Woman with Sweet Potato

Note that although I am only 15 weeks along in this picture, the shirt is already insufficient to cover the bump. I am thrilled to have gotten a lot of hand-me-down maternity clothes from friends, but already the ones from the Gap are too short. Unless my friends bought special petite maternity clothes, I can not understand how something labeled 'maternity' does not cover me at this point in my pregnancy. Having learned the hard way about how easy it is to anger Gap partisans (see the comments), perhaps I should not complain so publicly about this, but really. Shouldn't maternity shirts be built long enough to cover a woman's torso for most, if not all of her pregnancy? Just a thought.

10 comments:

  1. Damn, I was bigger at 15 weeks with a singleton. But I was fatter as well. You look great! Nice potato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you need a bigger shirt!?

    And, I'm not Jewish, but I'd kill for some of them sweet potato latkes. I used to make a mean blintz . . .

    Happy day, my bumpy friend . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice bump! And next time we get together, pork roast and latkes, ok? Even if it's brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look FANTASTIC, Nora. I'm so happy for you!

    And yum on the sweet potato latkes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're tempting the wrath of the gap loyalists again? Brave.
    If their shirts can't cover you, who could they cover. You are still tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful picture. And intriguing recipe, the oil guidelines likely crucial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, you look great and now I feel like a hippo. I think I'm much larger than you. Hope your holidays were great and not as exhausting as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look swell.

    You look like you might need some homemade bella bands...I'm sending you an email...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betcha got a long torso? I have one of those. Best thing that ever happened to me was the belly baring late 90s. Sadly now it is too cold for such folly.

    No advice on maternity shirts. I wore many of my too-short dresses as shirts. People forgive a pregnant woman a lot.

    Yummy recipe. You look happy. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful you!!!

    ReplyDelete