Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Don't Notice It

Ada took a big spill the other day, scraping up her knees and chin. The moment itself freaked her out, sending her into a mood tailspin that lasted most of our breakfast with our pals.  The pancake helped cheer her up, thankfully.

Ada was upset enough in the moment that I did not try to wash off the scrapes.  I figured I would be able to clean the wounds later, when she was less worked up. I was wrong. Not only does Ada resist anyone touching her sore knees, she does not want us to LOOK at them. If I mention the existence of her scab, she tells me: "don't notice it."

4 comments:

  1. You may have to add that comment to your vernacular, and keep it. (Though I am glad she can say 'thank you' now, I sometimes wish it were still 'dee doo'.)
    I may have to try "don't notice it" next time someone criticizes something I'm choosing not to deal with. Like the 2 loads of laundry on the inside clothesline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I hope everything is going well with the pregnancy. When is your ultrasound? I'm in CA on business this week and struggling not to fall asleep in the endless series of meetings I've been in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, because if you don't see it, it's not there.

    I still try that coping mechanism.

    ReplyDelete