Friday, June 27, 2008

On her third birthday

. . . Ada finally mastered simultaneous tricycle steering and pedaling.

. . . spent a nice long time playing independently with a good friend at a local wading pool.

. . . fell off the play structure, landing flat on her back but unharmed.

. . . fell while running and then clung to me and called mama in a way that was surprisingly charming.

. . . tried to talk me into bringing every one of her favorite toys into her bed at nap time.

. . . asked more "why" questions than I even thought was possible in one day.

. . . pitched a screaming fit when her friend accidentally splashed water on her.

. . . pitched a longer and louder fit when Chris would not agree with her demand that he force me upstairs to help with bath.

Oh, and she really enjoyed her special burrito and cupcake birthday dinner.

birthday cupcake
birthday cupcake 2
birthday cupcake 3
I have this feeling that this year is going to be a doozy.

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday indeed! She looks so grown up (and discriminating) examining that cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep. I betcha.

    Happy birthday Ada.

    ps.. your kitchen made me laugh and laugh and laugh. you know we do hope we see you guys sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Ada! We love the heck out of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!

    I hear you about the coming year. I just wonder how three is going to be seeing that it seems like we are just revving up with the tantrums and whys.


    I hope you had a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always feel like my kids' birthdays are mine--the day I gave birth.

    I never understood why people talked about terrible twos when three was much harder. There is one theory I recall about the odd numbered years being difficult.

    Tantrums are about power struggles and recede as your child is ready for responsibility for more and more aspects of her life.

    Sometimes kids want more than they can handle too early. Sometimes they want to avoid doing things on their own that they should be able to do.

    You'd think after all this time, there'd be a foolproof recipe for growing up a kid. But they each seem to do it in their own way.

    ReplyDelete