Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Scenes from Life in a Poopy Fog

Monkey Boy was over and he and Ada were busy placing wooden beads in two containers. I helped Monkey Boy put his beads into an empty honey bear. Once the top was on, Monkey Boy declared: "OK! Now we have everything we need to hunt for poop sticks!"

Off the kids run, yelling "poop sticks! poop sticks!" A few minutes later I notice Ada has a green tinker toy stick in her mouth. I tell her to take it out, and she asks if she can lick it. I tell her "no, that is not a good idea." She counters: "But it's a poop stick." Maybe it's me, but that seems to undermine Ada's stance.

* ** * ** * ** *

While watching Chris play in his annual basketball tournament, Ada asked: "When does Papa get the ball?"

3/7/08 Papa's biggest fan

I explained, "They all have the ball."

Ada: "Yeah, that's sharing. Sharing is caring."*

* ** * ** * ** *

Ada: Why is this my unbrella?
Junie: Because you are the only one in your house who uses it.
A: You and Sarah have one.
J: Yes.
A: Why do you live with Sarah?
J: Because we love each other and we wanted to live together.
A: Yeah. Like Mama and Papa.
J: (no doubt considering how to explain difference between "roommate" and "girlfriend")
Yes, except that Sarah and I are not a family.
A: (pause, considering this) Yeah, because you don't have a kid.


*By the way, "sharing is caring" is one of those random things people tell young children, even though toddlers have no way to really understand what it means. I got it from Ellen, who learned it from her sister-in-law. Ada and Monkey Boy routinely parrot it back to us, but since they do seem to be actually getting the concept of sharing (not just of 'waiting semi-patiently until it is my turn') I won't worry too much about it. They certainly were sharing whatever poop sticks they found. Which is fine, as long as they don't share them with me.

3 comments:

  1. We're still using the phrase "poop sticks." Poop sticks are HILARIOUS.

    Also, I mentioned to Chris today, but in my mind, Ada is still the little girl who crawled on one knee and one foot around our house. I know she's bigger now and all, but it still sort of surprises me when she's so verbal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. crunchycarpets3/13/2008 4:31 PM

    That is like my neighbours 'That is not kind'...this after the kid pounded my kid.

    Nooooo that is NOT kind.

    Now mine say it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (un)relaxeddad3/19/2008 3:06 PM

    "Poop sticks" I don't want to know. As for sharing, I spent today helping marshal 14 four year olds around the London Transport Museum and at each steering wheel opportunity, every single one had to have a go - and if someone had their turn in the wrong order or tried to go twice...

    ReplyDelete