Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Ode On A Ecuadorian Banana


Ada's ongoing love for the world's most perfect food has on occasion led Chris and me to literally sing its praises. Here are a few of our household's top (banana) hits:

The Knack's My Banana

Ooh my little yellow one, yellow one.
Why can't every one be mine, mine, Banana?
Ooh you taste so fun, taste so fun.
Love to eat them picked right from the vine, Banana.
Never gonna stop, give them up.
Such a yummy fruit. Always have it for my lunch
eating all my yellow loot.
My my my i yi woo. M M M My Banana...


Arrowsmith's Dude (looks like banana)

Crawlin' to a store on the shore
Its picture graced a poster on the door
She a long lost love at first bite
Baby, maybe you taste wrong
But you know it's all right - that's right

At lunch we're having the time
Of our lives until somebody says
'Forgive me if I seem out of line'
Then she whipped out a peel
Tried to take my fruit away.

Dude Looks Like Banana
Dude Looks Like Banana
Dude Looks Like Banana
Dude Looks Like Banana


Barry Manilow's Copacabanana

Her name was Lola, she sold bananas,
With yellow peelings in her hair and some fruit cut down to there
She would make smoothies and do the chopping
And when she made banana bread, Tony was filled with dread.
Fruit fell on the floor, they cooked from 8 till 4
They were young and they had each other
Who could ask for more?

At the Copa, Copacabanana
The hottest spot north of Havana (here)
At the Copa, Copacabanana
Fruit shakes and passion were always the fashion
At the Copa....they fell in love


Banana (to the tune of Tomorrow from the musical Annie)

Banana, Banana,
I'll love ya, banana!
you're only a bite away!


What are you singing around the high chair at your house? I can't be the only one doing this. (Please, I hope not.)

14 comments:

  1. i think you two are much more creative than we are! generally, i don't even remember the real lyrics to songs that well. i am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. Those are pretty damn good. Ours, well, I'll have to think of a good one and share it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, we have some funny songs as well. i can't remember many lyrics right now but i know a few months ago there was one about being in jammies and drinking moms mammies. it is amazing how often we revert to singing around here and at times we catch one another and have to stop, or at least try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. our take on the fruit that lives to be sung about (or used for hilarious sight gags, for that matter) - lessee. we enjoy throwing its name into the tune, "my banana's back and it's looking to be eaten - hey la, hey, la, banana's back." and this is always a goodie, "I'm a fan of banana, banana's a big fan of me, I'm a fan of banana, banana's so good you see, we call it mellow yellow..."

    The list is endless, really. I'd never remember them all, because I make up new ones daily.

    Great post - it's nice to know we're not alone in our morning sillies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great! My husband has been known to make up some intersting ones, I'm a little less creative in this area.

    We don't sing a lot of food songs right now, but we like to sing (to the tune of Jammin by Bob Marley)

    jammies, the jammies, we hope you like jammies too.

    There's more, but I'll leave it at that. I picture my child someday in school thinking she knows the words to some song and coming out with our funky lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh those are gems! we sing around here a lot too. and i sing directions to my students while they're dancing sometimes - it always cracks them up. and what i am saying always seems to fit perfectly with the music. based on their reactions, this is not a normal practice in their lives. too bad. my kids make funny shit up all the time. one of my favorites is to the tune "Amber" by 3-11. the lyrics are "amber is the color of your energy" my boys sing "brown is the color fo your underwear." stupid boy humor, but it makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we like to stick to hip-hop versions of nursery rhymes -- but you could be up for a grammy with some of those remixes. could we get some audio? somehow i just can't imagine you singing MMMMMy Banana ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous. We run a similar repotoire over here with , sadly, a number of Roger Miller tunes and then the Beatles.. beep-beep a beep-beep, yeah!

    But do you think I could recall a single, single out of the baby entertainment context all day?? Na-da

    ReplyDelete
  9. Genius! I sing all kinds of crazy songs all day long. Half the time they are so random that I never remember them.

    I was called Jana Banana as a child and therefore always despised this perfect food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally sing the Annie song with banana to my kids. They actually sing it now, too. Banana, Banana I love you, Banana ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had an song to encourage weaning (can you say desperate?). I don't know what tune it was to, we just sorta made it up, but if we ever meet I promise to sing it to you. Here are the lyrics.

    Big boys drink from cups
    Big boys drink from cups
    Boobies are for babies
    But big boys drink from cups

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been wondering post post.. Does everyone do the ..?

    Pah-jamma - jamma - jamma
    Jahhma!
    I got pah-jammahs for you
    Pajamas, jamma, jammas jamma
    And, we hope you like pajamas too!

    -- by Bob Marley ??? Or is it just us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We sing songs quite often...always making them up and not singing the same one more than a couple times...but this one went into play on a recent Saturday (pizza night).

    To Twinkle, twinke, little star:

    i love pizza, i love pizza,
    yes i do! yes i do!
    who's eating it for dinner?
    i'm the lucky winner!
    i'll drink pop too, i'll drink pop too!

    MUSIC ROCKS!!!

    ReplyDelete